Ph.D. 2016, Materials Science (Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur)
M.Tech. 2010, Materials Engineering (Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology)
M.Sc. 2008, Physics specialization in Materials Science and X-rays (RTM Nagpur University).
- Structural characterizations (Structure-property correlation)
- Nanostructure evaluation via transmission electron microscopy
- Electronic and thermal transport in materials; Energy conversion devices
- Synthesis of oxide, chalcogenides, intermetallics, and nanomaterials
- Materials physics, and defect studies
As a member of Thermoelectric Materials Group, my research focuses on oxide based materials, their structural characterization, electronic and thermal transport. We employ approaches such as doping, precipitations and phase mixture to tune and optimize transport for TE performances. We aim at understanding the underlying physics linking atomistic structure, energy filtering effect, scattering phenomena, and electronic and thermal transport in oxides.
Currently working on bismuth telluride materials for thermoelectric and topological applications utilizing Hall effect and electron microscopy.
- C. Gayner, Y. Amouyal. Energy filtering of charge carriers: current trends, challenges, and prospects for thermoelectric materials, Adv. Func. Mater. 29, 1901789, 2019.
- C Gayner, KK Kar, Recent advances in thermoelectric materials, Prog. Mater. Sci. 83, 330-382, 2016.
- C Gayner, KK Kar, W Kim, Recent progress and futuristic development of PbSe thermoelectric materials and devices, Mater. Today Energy 9, 359-376, 2018.
- C Gayner, H Kim, J Kim, W Kim, Spacer strategy for exceptionally low thermal conductivity and high zT in antimony-doped bulk silicon, Mater. Today Energy, 12, 327-335, 2019.
- C Gayner, R Sharma, MK Das, KK Kar, Boost in room temperature thermoelectric performance of PbSe:Alx through band modification and low densification, J. Appl. Phys. 120 (15), 155106, 2016.
- C Gayner, R Sharma, I Malik, MK Das, KK Kar, Exploring the doping effects of copper on thermoelectric properties of lead selenide, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 49 (28), 285104 (1-13), 2016.
- C Gayner, KK Kar, Inherent room temperature ferromagnetism and dopant dependent Raman studies of PbSe, Pb1− xCuxSe, and Pb1− xNixSe, J. Appl. Phys. 117 (10), 103906, 2015.
- C Gayner, R Sharma, MK Das, KK Kar, Effects of Ni doping induced band modification and Ni3Se2 nanoinclusion on thermoelectric properties of PbSe, J. Alloys and Compounds 699, 679-689, 2017.
- C Gayner, D Prakash, A Ballal, Influence of secondary phase dispersants and porosity on thermoelectric properties of β-Fe0.91Mn0.09Si2, J. Alloys and Compounds 698, 164-169, 2017.
- J Kim, H Kim, M Emin Kilic, C Gayner, R Koltun, H Park, A Soon, J Bowers, W Kim, Effect of phonon confinement on the thermal conductivity of In0.53Ga0.47As nanofilms, J. Appl. Phys. 123 (24), 245103, 2018.